Margit körút 105 [map]
Buda, II, Moszkva tér (M2, T4/6), 1 min
Cuisine > Hungarian


Rating: 5.1/10

A butcher's shop might not be the first thing that springs to mind when you consider dining out.
(Although calling it dining may be pushing it a bit.)

Standing at what can’t really be described as a table - it’s more of a shelf - I'm eating my sausage in what can’t really be described as a civilised manner. I’m reduced to ripping off juicy pieces with my fingers because I didn’t see the plastic cutlery over at the counter. My nearest neighbour’s shelf etiquette is rather more developed, as he makes good use of his pen-knife.

Getting my food in the first place should have been simple enough, since I'd been tipped off about the procedure: you make your choice, take the slip, pay at the till behind you, and then go back to collect your food. However, in reality, it meant reciting the words "sült kolbász" several times, until I realised that the man at the counter understood
"sült kolbász" perfectly well and now wanted to know if I was eating in or not. Sausages are something I prefer not to know too much about so I had absolutely no intention of ending up with the more adventurous hurka, available in three varieties: blood (véres), liver (májas) and lung (tüdős.)

There are plenty of other meat options - not too much for the vegetarian - and side dishes are a little limited: bread, mustard and strange looking pickles
(savanyúság). The latter are highly recommended if only for the sake of digestion. On this occasion, due to my poor performance at the counter, I had to resort to the bar across the road for the stodgy food antidote and Hungarian cure-all, a shot of Unicum.

Food: 4/10
Service: 4/10
Atmosphere: 7/10

Value for money: 5.5/10

From Moszkva tér metro or tram stop, walk across the main road and it's there on the corner.
hentes,
hentesüzlet, hentesáru, hentesbolt, butcher's, butcher, húsbolt, hús, hus
Andy Sz.

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.